Governors

A Welcome from Cllr. Mike Harvey – Chair of Governors

Dear Parents and Carers

The past year has seen several changes in Abbey Primary, the most significant being the retirement of the head Mrs Bev Newman.

Mrs Newman successfully oversaw the amalgamation of Neath Abbey Infants School and Mynachlog Nedd Junior School into one school – Abbey Primary. Bev also played a massive part in the design of our new school and the move of Abbey Primary from three sites onto a single site in Longford. 

Bev was a fabulous head, who we as governors enjoyed working with and wish her a long, healthy and happy retirement.

One of Bev’s last duties as a head was to attend the official opening of Abbey Primary in May by the Welsh Government’s Minister for Education and Welsh Language Mr Jeremy Miles, the Member of the Senedd for Neath.

I had the honour of speaking at the opening ceremony and everyone there was left touched and amazed at the performance of our young people who sang at the ceremony. They were unbelievable.

Bev’s retirement saw the arrival as head of Mr Kevin Hodder from Rhydyfro Primary.

Kevin has hit the ground running as head and the governing body and I look forward to working with him over the coming years.

As in last year’s annual report I would ask everyone to think where they park their vehicles outside the school as parking continues to be a major issue at the start and finish of school.

Plans for an additional car park on the site of the old nursery are currently going through the planning process and hopefully this new car park will come to fruition soon as it is badly needed. 

The school has continued to operate academically at a high level with a number of people visiting and praising the school for the academic standards set. The Governing Body are delighted at how the school is performing and the results that are being achieved and would like to praise all the staff in achieving this.

Staff and governors are committed to achieving an educational environment where every child is looked after and provided with the opportunity to thrive and achieve to the best of their ability in an inclusive environment.

The Governing Body has continued to ensure the accomplished management of the school and it is superb to get back to face to face on site meetings instead of virtual meetings.

I would also like to say an enormous thank you to all of our fantastic pupils who have worked so hard this year and made staff and governors very proud with the standards they have set.

The following report itemises the achievements of the school community over the last academic year

and I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to Mrs. Newman, Mr. Hodder and staff for the commitment shown and the hours spent to ensure the safety and well-being of our children continues to be at the heart of everything we do.

Lastly, on a personal note I would like to thank everyone at Abbey Primary, Governors and staff for the support I receive as Chair of Governors.

I am proud to say I am the Chair of Governors at Abbey Primary.

Cllr Mike Harvey

Chair of Governors

Full Governing Body

Mike Harvey – Local Authority & Chair of Governors

Vic James – Local Authority

Lisa John – Community

Cllr. Keith Davies – Community & Minor Authority

Sue Davies – Community

Father Chris Cole – Community

Mr Hodder – Headteacher

Mrs Griffiths – Deputy Headteacher

Karen Morris – Bursar

Anthea Jackson – Clerk

Sacha Jarvis – Non-teaching

Tanya Heskins – Parent

Paul Davies – Parent

Jenna Hickman – Parent

Hannah May – Parent